Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Visit to Harborview


On Sunday evening we went to a cousins birthday party. Adults were either playing cards or chatting on the couch and the kids (ages 2-11, mine are the youngest) were playing up-stairs. I was getting ready to feed Kitt when we heard a loud bang on the hardwood floor. Tabor had found his way through the banister upstairs and fell down 10-12 feet into the entryway.

The first sign that he was seriously hurt was that he was not screaming, he was barely whimpering, as if that was all he could muster. We called 911. Robert and his dad gave Tabor a blessing and the ambulance was there shortly afterwards . While the paramedics were discussing which hospital to bring him to, he threw up. I think this is what made them decide to pass Overlake, Swedish & Childrens hospitals to bring him to Harborview which is known for their top care for head trauma. They would not let me in the ambulance, they said they might have to do some procedures on the way there which would be hard for a parent to watch. I would rather have watched the procedures then watch them drive off with my terrified 2 year old.

When I got to the hospital I was happy to learn that they had sedated him in the ambulance right away... this way he was not in pain and he didn't have to worry about where he was going or where his family was. After they up-dated and ID'd us they brought us back to him. 29 doctors surrounded his bed. Yes you read that right, 29. If something worries a parent, it is 29 doctors around your child's bed.

But fortunately that is where the real excitement ends. They did all sorts of tests and x-rays and found nothing wrong with him. He had a concussion but no brain damage, no swelling, no broken bones, no punctured organs, NOTHING. That was a blessing sent straight from heaven. The Head Pediatric Doctor said she would keep Tabor in the hospital 36 to 48 hours just to make sure nothing showed up.

It felt like dozens of doctors visited Tabor Monday morning. They had both occupational and speech therapists work with him as well. Everyone said he looked great. I thought it was a little over the top, but I would rather him have to much care then not enough. By early afternoon he was jumping on the bed and laughing at Robert's tricks. Our nurse brought the Head Pediatric Doctor in, when she saw him she said he looked like he was ready leave. She met with several of the doctors who had evaluated him and they decided to let him go home early.

His only complaint has been about where they tried three times to put the catheter in. Zero complaints about pain from the fall. He does not even have bruises to show for the fall. What an absolute miracle.

P.S. while I was at the hospital I missed breast-feeding 3 times (Kitt was with grandma). I unfortunately didn't have my pump with me... since then I have been low on milk. I start out breastfeeding and finish up with a bottle. I should have thought more about my milk supply, but my mind was on other things.

4 comments:

Sarah Jones said...

Oh my goodness I am so glad he is okay. That must have been awful, but it sounds like he is tough! We have a banister overlooking the foyer & it scares me to death, I'm going to be extra cautious now too. I hope everything keeps going well for him!

Heather Curtis said...

Yes I cried when I read that. I'm so happy he is okay!

Katie Sterling said...

That is so incredibly scary! That is amazing that he is ok. Hope you are recovering too! I can't imagine going through that as a mom.

Kathryn said...

WOw, so I heard about this right away from Mom, but actually reading it in your words, so scary! But what a miracle! I think I would have demanded to go in the ambulance. That is my baby driving away. (me or tim for sure) He is just like his daddy! Heads up it is going to be a bumpy ride for the rest of his life. ;) hugs