Sunday, November 11, 2012

the little red hen


We read "The Little Red Hen".  My kids are very familiar with the gardening/growing aspect of the story.  And they are familiar with the baking aspect of the story.  But what they wanted to know was how something that grew in the "garden" was made into bread.  So I got out the wheat berries.  As the wheat berries were ground out, they immediately recognized it as flour.  Then the story made sense to them.  I love helping them make connections and understand things.  They are just sponges ready to soak up information.  I love it!

2 comments:

Sarah Jones said...

Randomly, we read that book for the first time ever yesterday and we've had it since Easter, Cecily just never wants to read it. Maybe now we'll have to do some baking, I'm probably not ambitious enough to make my own flour though.

byufish said...

Oh another FAVE blog on motherhood....kudos to you!!!